Hosting your own Buy My Dress Event
Plan in advance
- Start collecting dresses – ask friends and colleagues to give up their unwanted (but once loved) dresses for a great cause and if they have some fabulous accessories to complete an outfit (bags, hats, wraps, jewellery) then please donate them too!
- Choose your date – you can host your Buy My Dress event anytime during the year
- Recruit some friends to help collect the dresses and help you out at the event
- Ask local boutiques and businesses to support your event by donating dresses or prizes for a raffle (completely optional)
Promote your event
- Spread the word! Perhaps ask a school or club if you could get a BMD message out through their mailing lists to request dress donations and notify people about your event
- Drop into local shops and businesses – place our BMD posters in strategic places like noticeboards in supermarkets, libraries, local convenience stores, local community centre, schools, clubs, gyms etc.
- Go online – give your BMD event a mention on all of your social media platforms and ask your friends to share the details. Upload photos of any particularly special dresses that have been donated to raise people’s interest and create a bit of a buzz
Local Press & Radio
- Contact your local radio station and ask them to give you event a mention
Send a ‘Save the Date’ to local newspapers, free newspapers, parish newsletters etc
Preparing the Dresses
- Check all dresses to make sure they’re in good condition, some dresses may need to be hung up (to get rid of wrinkles)
- Dresses will need to be marked with their size and price, you can do this with our print off dress labels and a box of pins
- If you are holding a larger event you could separate the dresses by size and arrange them in order of colour, from white to lighter colours to darker colours
- If you are selling accessories then it would be a good idea to provide separate areas / tables for each type of accessories
- Prices for dresses are usually between €20 – €30, with higher end dresses going for €50 +
Submit your funds
- After your BMD event is over you can donate online, by bank transfer or by calling our office on 01 661 8000
- If you’re nearby or fancy a visit to our centre, then why not pop in with your funds – we’d be delighted to meet you and thank you in person and maybe take a few photos for our website and social media.
Lastly and most importantly thank you so much for coming on board and hosting a BMD event, we hope your event goes really well and everyone enjoys some guilt free shopping while supporting children with Down syndrome at the same time!
For more advice or information please contact Lorraine on the fundraising team – email@example.com