Parents Plus Programme
What is Parents Plus?
Parents Plus is an Irish charity that develops practical, evidence-based parenting and mental health programmes. They train professionals working with children and families to deliver programmes in communities and clinical settings.
Visit their website to learn more about how you can benefit from the various programmes Parents Plus offers.
What Parents Plus Programmes does the Down Syndrome Centre offer?
Parents Plus is developing a parenting programme for those parenting adolescents with special needs.
We are delighted to have the opportunity to pilot this new programme in September. Two of our in-house therapists, Aoife Ryan (Occupational Therapy) and Aoife O’Brien (Speech & Language Therapy) will be running the programme sessions at our centre.
The programme will be held on the following Wednesday Evenings from 7.00-9.30pm: 25/09/19, 02/10/19, 23/10/19, 06/11/19, 13/11/19, 20/11/19, 27/11/19.
Topics covered will include:
The transition from adolescent to adulthood
● Social skills and friendships
● Challenging behaviour
● Puberty and sexual development
● Parental and family self-care
● Emotional challenges and grief
The goals of the programme for parents are:
● Understanding the journey of parenting a child with special needs
● Advocating for children and preparing for future transitions
● Managing parental stress and self-care
● Supporting siblings (brothers and sisters) and family relationships
● Supporting fathers and mothers and their relationships with each other
● Establishing good family routines
● Managing problem behaviours
The goals of the programme for young people are:
● Supporting children in having good social outlets and appropriate
● Helping young adults to find meaningful work or participation in society,
according to their ability
● Building self-esteem, independence and the ability to prepare for the
● Supporting children’s education and development
● Dealing with relationships and sexuality
Each session will cover three topics:
Supporting children/young people
If you are parenting a young person who has an intellectual disability and you are interested in attending this parenting programme please contact our centre at firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
Places are limited on this programme, and you must be available for all or a majority of the dates listed above.