Speech and Language Therapist : Senior
Oct 31, 2018 by Downsyndromecentre
Location: Down Syndrome Centre, Shrewsbury House, Cabinteely ,Dublin 18
Closing Date: 20th November 2018
Application: email CV to Maeve Meister, firstname.lastname@example.org
Role: To provide and develop Speech and Language Therapy Services for the Down Syndrome Centre
Reporting: Directly to Clinical Manager, indirectly to CEO, DSC
Post: Permanent Full Time role with option for Part Time.
The Senior Speech and Language Therapist will
- Be responsible for assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation of treatment / intervention programmes for service users according to professional standards.
- Be able to make highly specialist clinical decisions following assessment of complex cases
- Arrange and carry out assessment and treatment / intervention programmes in appropriate settings
- Communicate results of assessments and recommendations to the service user and relevant others as appropriate.
- Document all assessments, diagnoses, treatment / intervention plans, clinical notes, relevant contacts and summaries in accordance with department and professional standards.
- Collaborate with service user, family, carers and other staff in goal setting and treatment / intervention planning
- Be responsible for maintenance of standards of practice for self
- Foster close working relationships with colleagues and other relevant professionals in maximising the service users potential.
- Actively engage in team based performance management
- Provide support and information in relation to communication and / or feeding, eating, drinking and swallowing disorders etc. to service users and relevant others.
- Participate in teams as appropriate, communicating and working in collaboration with the service user and other team members as part of an integrated package of care.
- In conjunction with the Clinical Manager, contribute to the development and implementation of procedures, policies and guidelines while adhering to existing standards and protocols.
- Maintain professional standards in relation to confidentiality, ethics and legislation
- Operate within the scope of Speech & Language Therapy practice as set out by the Irish Association of Speech & Language Therapists
- Comply with the policies, procedures and safe professional practice of the Irish Healthcare System by adhering to relevant legislation, regulations and standards
- Work in a safe manner with due care and attention to the safety of self and others
- Maintain and develop professional expertise and knowledge by actively engaging in continuing professional development
- Avail of and participate in own supervision with Speech & Language Therapy Supervisor and Clinical manager
- Promote quality by reviewing and evaluating the Speech & Language Therapy service, identifying changing needs and opportunities to improve services.
SPEECH & LANGUAGE THERAPIST SENIOR
- A Speech and Language Therapy qualification recognised by the IASLT
- Membership with or eligibility to be a member of the Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists
- Registration with CORU
- Paediatric Experience
- Minimum 3 years post graduate experience
Skills and Competencies for this role
- Demonstrate sufficient clinical knowledge and evidence based practice in relation to communication and eating/drinking /swallowing disorders
- Demonstrate an ability to apply knowledge to evidence based practice
- Demonstrate the ability to plan and deliver care in an effective and resourceful manner
- Demonstrate an ability to manage and develop self and others in a busy working environment
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively evaluate information and make appropriate decisions
- Demonstrate a commitment to assuring high standards and strive for a user centred service
- Demonstrate effective team skills
- Display effective communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to collaborate with colleagues, families, carers, etc.
- Display awareness and appreciation of the service user and the ability to empathise with and treat service users / others with dignity and respect
- Demonstrate flexibility and openness to change
- Demonstrate ability to utilise supervision effectively
- Demonstrate a willingness to develop IT skills relevant to the role
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous professional development
- Work as part of a team within the whole parameters of the centre and be available on occasion to support the fundraising team when feasible
For further information please email Maeve Meister prior to 20th November
Phone: 01 6618000